Italian Ham and Cheese Pie
2 sheets of pastry
3/4 cup homemade tomato sauce or fresh tomato passata
- 1 1/2 c oz or Cheddar, finely grated
- Unsmoked ham, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt and sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Unwrap the pastry and stretch the first piece out onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spread it with the tomato sauce, leaving a border of (3⁄4 in) clear around the edges.
- Now scatter over the cheese, followed by the ham.
- Lay the second sheet of pastry on a lightly floured surface and score shallow, diagonal cuts across its surface, to make a diamond pattern. Lay the scored pastry over the first sheet.
- Use your fingertips to push the two layers of pastry together around the edges and seal with the prongs of a fork to make little lines around the border.
- Brush the top with a thin layer of the seasoned beaten egg (this will make it more golden). Keep the rest of the egg for later. Use the tip of a sharp knife to make around 10 small holes in the pastry, to allow the air to escape.
- Let the pie rest in the fridge or a cool place for 10 minutes, then brush it with egg again.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, then turn the oven down to 340° and bake for a further 10–15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. It is also good eaten at room temperature.