Cushing Field owner Charles “Bud” Cushing says pilot training offered at the airport in Newark is one reason it got an award from the Illinois Department of Transportation this year. New pilots can learn to fly for two types of licenses there.
Cushing says there’s a lot of camaraderie at the airport. It has hosted many aviation events that draw pilots who spend money in the community.
IDOT gave Cushing Field the 2019 Open to the Public Airport of the Year award.
IDOT’s other winners:
• Quincy Regional Airport – Primary Airport of the Year
• Lake in the Hills Airport – Reliever Airport of the Year
• Rochelle Municipal Airport – General Aviation Airport of the Year
• Effingham County Memorial Airport – General Aviation Airport of the Year
• Ann & Robert Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago – Heliport of the Year