A state grant could pay up to $400,000 for park improvements, and Ottawa City Council members think they want to apply for work at Thornton Park. Commissioner Wayne Eichelkraut thinks the city can come up with $600,000 over two years and add in donations. Commissioner James Less says the application work needs to start now. The deadline is August 19.
Commissioner Marla Rodriguez compiled a list of possible projects:
1. Tennis/Pickleball courts. Resurface/repaint the existing courts.
2. Basketball courts. Resurface/repaint the existing courts.
3. Improve the shelter
4. Splash pad
7. Walking path
8. Pave the small parking lot
9. Renovate the existing bricks/pavers
10. Roller hockey/ice skating rink with chiller