Monday, August 26th sponsored by Marseilles Sheet Metal
- Only Wanna Be With You – Hootie and the Blowfish
- Believe – Me First and the Gimme Gimmes %%
- The Impression That I Get – Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Spiderwebs – No Doubt (drummer Adrian Young is 50)
- Humpty Dance – Digital Underground (Shock G, aka Humpty Hump is 56)
- Kiss from a Rose – Seal (#1 song on this date in 1995)
- Everything About You – Ugly Kid Joe
- Achy Breaky Heart – Billy Ray Cyrus** (he turned 58 over the weekend)
- My Own Prison – Creed (Their debut album released on this day in 1997)
- Stupid Girl – Garbage (Shirley Manson is 53. I had a huge crush on her in the 90s)
- Outtasite (Outta Mind) – Wilco^^ (Jeff Tweedy is 52)
- Back and Forth – Aaliyah (passed away 18 years ago this weekend)
- Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang – Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg (Hasbro toy company now owns the Death Row catalog! Please tell me they’re going to do a Death Row edition of Monopoly! Imagine the Chance cards!)
- You Host a party and ran out of Tanqueray and Chronic because Snoop and his posse showed up. Pay $1000 to keep the party hoppin’!
- You survived a drive-by attempted! Pass Go and Collect $200!
%% saw them this weekend at 350 Fest at the 350 Soundstage in Tinley Park Friday. I don’t know if I’ve ever had more fun at a concert. I was smiling from ear to ear their entire set.
** how did that thing on his head not scare all the ladies away?
^^ super cool video from Wilco.
Tuesday, August 27th sponsored by All About Personnel
- Mo’ Money, Mo’ Problems – Notorious B.I.G. f. Puff Daddy, Mase and Kelly Price (Mase is 44 today)
- (Can’t Live Without Your) Love and Affection – Nelson
- Don’t Speak – No Doubt (Tony Kanal is 49)
- The Bad Touch – Bloodhound Gang (Jimmy Pop is 47)
- Friends of P. – The Rentals**
- Ring of Fire – Social Distortion (celebrating 40 years with a special festival)
- All I Wanna Do is Make Love to You – Heart
- The Sky is Cryin’ – Stevie Ray Vaughan ++
- Alive – Pearl Jam (Ten was released on this date in 1991)
- Wrong Way – Sublime
- Just a Friend – Biz Markie
- Crush – Jennifer Paige
- Fake Plastic Trees – Radiohead
**one of those cool, alt-pop-rock nuggets from former Weezer bass player Matt Sharp. Any time you can pull out the Moog, it’s a good thing!
++on this date in 1990, Stevie Ray Vaughan passed away in a helicopter crash leaving a blues festival at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin.
Wednesday, August 28th sponsored by Rosati’s Pizza of Mendota
- If it Makes You Happy – Sheryl Crow
- Rock and Roll is Dead – Lenny Kravitz
- Rusty Cage – Soundgarden
- Inside Out – Eve 6
- Ray of Light – Madonna (she’s delaying the start of her tour for perfection!)
- River of Dreams – Billy Joel (album hit #1 on this date in 1993)
- Right Now – Van Halen
- Van Halen – Nerf Herder **
- Greedy Fly – Bush (on co-heading tour with LIVE, Sept 6th Hollywood Casino Ampitheatre)
- Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand – Primitive Radio Gods
- Big Me – Foo Fighters ++
- That Don’t Impress Me Much – Shania Twain (She’s 54 today!)
- Rock and Roll Lifestyle – Cake
**Classic 90’s Alternative 1-hit-wonder reminisce on loving and hating Van Halen! Sammy Hagar really didn’t like the song!
++When videos go wrong…this classic led the band to getting pelted with Mentos at shows for years! They had to pull it from their setlist for a while.
Thursday, August 29th sponsored by Electronics Junkyard
- Wild Night – John Mellencamp f. Me’Shell N’degeocello
- Push – Matchbox Twenty (Kyle Cook is 43)
- Dumb – Nirvana
- Cherry Pie – Warrant
- Mmm Bop – Hanson
- In the Closet – Michael Jackson **
- Red Dragon Tattoo – Fountains of Wayne
- The Kids Aren’t Alright – The Offspring
- I Stay Away – Alice in Chains
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me – U2
- Not an Addict – K’s Choice
- Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio
- Mambo No. 5 – Lou Bega
- Closing Time – Semisonic
**today would’ve been the King of Pop’s 61st Birthday. This is probably his most sexually-tinged song. It’s not about coming out of the closet, but to hide a hetero-sexual relationship. And to think, it COULD’VE be even more provocative! It was supposed to be a duet with Madonna, but her lyrics were too much for Michael. Instead Princess Stephanie of Monaco was the female on the track. Naomi Campbell re-recorded her lines for the music video.
We also talked about 25 years of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon (The Kevin Bacon Game)! It all started when he was promoting 1994’s The River Wild, when he said he had ‘worked with everybody in Hollywood or someone who’s worked with them.’ That gave four college students an idea, link movie stars to Kevin Bacon in as few names as possible. On average, it takes about 3 names. Turns out, he’s not the center of the universe. There are 564 actors/actresses who closer to the center of the acting universe!
Play 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon here!
Friday, August 30th sponsored by Norway Kennels Dog & Cat Boarding
- Escapade – Janet Jackson
- Bulls on Parade – Rage Against the Machine**
- Stayin’ Alive – N’Trance
- Cotton-Eyed Joe – Rednex
- Sad But True – Metallica (the ‘Black’ album started a 4 week run on top of the Billboard Album charts on this date in 1991)
- Smells Like Nirvana – ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic ++
- Cuban Pete – Jim Carrey!!
- Jump Jive An’ Wail – Brian Setzer Orchestra
- Fast as You – Dwight Yoakam (he was in Sling Blade released on this date in 1996)
- Easy – Faith No More
- All My Life – K-Ci & JoJo (can’t get this song out of my head thanks to that Amazon Prime Wardrobe commercial!)
- Wynonna’s Big Brown Beaver – Primus
- Push Th’ Little Daisies – Ween ^^
- Three Little Pigs – Green Jelly
**some genius on the internet was able to Mash this Rage classic with the Bee Gees!
++ Weird Al was recently honored by a small town in Minnesota when they named a street after him! It’s a dirt road on the way to the ‘Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota!’
!! Cameron Diaz is 47 years old today. She got her acting debut at just 21 across from Jim Carrey in The Mask.
^^ As ridiculous as this song is, Ween has a very loyal fan base and still tour! They actually have a 2 hour set at Riot Fest in a few weeks.