Let’s get the Crock Pot out and start cooking!
Slow-Cooker Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles (about 6 ounces)
- 3 cans (5 ounces) light tuna in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, sweet pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in cream and noodles. Cook, covered, on low until noodles are tender, 4-5 hours. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine tuna, lemon juice and remaining salt and pepper.
- Shut off or remove insert from slow cooker, Stir cheese, tuna mixture and peas into noodle mixture. Let stand, uncovered, 20 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with potato chips.
**Special Notes on Recipe
- Canned mushrooms also work in this recipe.
- You can use frozen mixed peas and carrots for more veggie variety.