Monday, September 9th sponsored by Marseilles Sheet Metal
- Blue Monday – Orgy
- Miami – Will Smith**
- Never Let You Go – Third Eye Blind
- Tonight, Tonight – Smashing Pumpkins
- Blaze of Glory – Jon Bon Jovi (#1 on this date in 1990)
- Stinkfist – Tool (congrats to them for knocking TAYLOR SWIFT from the top album slot)
- Lithium – Nirvana>>
- Tears in Heaven – Eric Clapton
- Right Now – Van Halen
- Ode to My Car – Adam Sandler (he’s 53 today!)
- Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio (#1 on this date in 1995)
- Basket Case – Green Day++
**Will and Martin Lawrence head back to Miami for a 3rd go around with Bad Boys for Life. Trailer is NSFW. Is it just me, or does it remind you too much of Lethal Weapon movies?
>>Nirvana’s performance at the 1992 MTV VMAs (it took place on this date in 1992). There was a near fight between Guns n’ Roses and Nirvana backstage, something that had been building up for months. And later that night, Kurt and Eddie Vedder had a slow dance under the stage while Eric Clapton performed above.
++check out this cool 50’s throwback cover version of Green Day!
Tuesday, September 10th sponsored by All About Personnel
- Set Adrift on Memory Bliss – PM Dawn
- Battleflag – Lo Fidelity Allstars
- Bound for the Floor – Local H
- Slide – Goo Goo Dolls
- Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Theme – Will Smith (show premiered on this date in 1990)
- Love is a Good Thing – Sheryl Crow**
- December – Collective Soul
- Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana (released as a single on this date in 1991)
- Velouria – Pixies>>
- I Want You Savage Garden
- Doo Wop (That Thing) – Lauryn Hill
- Welcome to Paradise – Green Day^^ (co-headlining tour SEE BELOW)
- Say it Ain’t So – Weezer^^ (co-headlining tour SEE BELOW)
**this song got her self-titled release banned from Wal-Mart because it mentions children killing each other with, quote, “a gun they bought at Wal-Mart discount stores”
>>since today is the day ‘Smell Like Teen Spirit’ was released into the world, I figured I’d pay tribute to the band that Kurt said ‘Teen Spirit’ was modeled after. The Pixies. Their’s a funny story behind this video. The British show, ‘Top of the Pops’ wanted the Pixies to come on their show. But Top of the Pops had a ridiculous rule that in order to appear on the show, an artist had to have a music video. So the Pixies, made a super low-budget :23 second clip of them walking through a quarry and stretched it out over the length of the song in protest of the rule.
^^It looks like a tour announcement is coming at 11am for the HELLA MEGA TOUR with Green Day, Weezer, and Fallout Boy!
Wednesday, September 11th sponsored by Rosati’s Pizza of Mendota
- Nice Guys Finish Last – Green Day**
- Dreamlover – Mariah Carey (#1 on this date in 1993)
- Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Connor
- Bitter Sweet Symphony – The Verve (Richard Ashcroft is 48 today)
- Porcelain – Moby (he’s 54 today, and actually a relative of Moby Dick author, Herman Melville)
- Wonderwall – Oasis
- Policy of Truth – Depeche Mode
- Super Model – RuPaul++
- The Other Side – Aerosmith++
- Peaches – Presidents of the USA
- Intergalactic – Beastie Boys
- An Open Letter to NYC – Beastie Boys^^
**they announced the Hella Mega Tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer yesterday. They all have new albums coming out in 2020. The tour comes to Wrigley Field 8/13/20. Presale starts Monday 9/16 and regular on-sale 9/20. No ticket prices available yet for Chicago, but links to purchase on the tour website. Here’s Green Day’s new song!
++THIS DATE AT THE MOVIES
Tops of the box office in 1995 was To Wong Foo: Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar, Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo in drag.
Released on this weekend in 1993, one of the ultimate cult classics of the 90s, and maybe Christian Slater’s best movie, True Romance! It features one of the greatest scenes in movie history between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken (definitely NSFW content in that scene). The trailer really doesn’t do it justice. It was written by Quentin Tarantino
^^my special tribute to NYC.
Thursday, September 12th sponsored by Electronics Junkyard
- Crackerman – Stone Temple Pilots
- Song for the Dumped – Ben Folds Five (Ben is 53 today)
- Just a Girl – No Doubt
- Mo’ Money, Mo’ Problems – Notorious B.I.G. (#1 on this date in 1997)
- Money Talks – AC/DC
- When I Grow Up – Garbage
- Woke Up this Morning (theme from the Sopranos) – A3 (Joe Pantoliano is 68! Check out this NSFW montage of his as Ralphie Cifaretto!)
- Creep – Radiohead
- All Apologies – Nirvana**
- Shiny Happy People – R.E.M.
- What I Got – Sublime
- Tha Crossroads – Bon Thugs-N-Harmony (Bizzy Bone is 43 today)
- I Wanna Grow Old With You – Adam Sandler++
- Groove is in the Heart – Dee-Lite
**Frances Cobain has started a new clothing line called Kurt Was Here, that features drawings from Kurt on clothing. Proceeds benefit a non-profit organization for teen suicide prevention. This T-shirt is $39. There’s also a coffee table book of his art.
++ Adam Sandler is getting Oscar Buzz for his new movie, The Uncut Gems. There’s no trailer yet, but critics claim it’s his best work since Punch-Drunk Love. The only problem is, people want Adam Sandler movies to be dumb and fun. And it doesn’t get any better than this.
Friday, September 13th sponsored by Norway Kennels Dog & Cat Boarding
- Been Caught Stealin’ – Jane’s Addiction (drummer Stephen Perkins is 52 today)
- Don’t Go Away Mad (Just Go Away) – Motley Crue
- You – Candlebox
- Santa Monica – Everclear
- California Love – 2Pac w/Dr. Dre**
- All The Small Thing – Blink-182++
- Time Bomb – Rancid++
- She Don’t Use Jelly – Flaming Lips++
- Love Shack – B-52s++
- Into the Great Wide Open – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- Whatta Man – Salt-N-Peppap (f. En Vogue)
- Larger Than Life – Backstreet Boys
- Criminal – Fiona Apple (she’s 42 today)
- Harvest Moon – Neil Young (see the Harvest Moon tonight at 11:32pm!)
**On this Date:
23 years ago– In 1996, Tupac Shakur “died” in a Las Vegas hospital six days after he was wounded in a drive-by shooting. He was only 25.
++ all these bands are playing this weekend in Chicago at Humboldt Park, former home of Chance the Snapper and RIOT FEST! You can still get tickets! The price on the post has gone up a little, but not too much!