Monday, September 16th sponsored by Marseilles Sheet Metal
- Symphony of Destruction – Megadeth
- My Name is Jonas – Weezer**
- My Name is – Eminem
- All That She Wants – Ace of Base
- Release Me – Wilson Philips (number one on this date in 1990)
- Connection – Elastica
- Popular – Nada Surf**
- A Walk – Bad Religion**
- It’s All Been Done – Barenaked Ladies
- Closer to Free – BoDeans
- Be My Lover – La Bouche
- Ghetto Superstar – Pras f. ODB & Mya
- Hail, Hail – Pearl Jam (No Code tour kicked off on this date in 1996)++
- Wasted Time – Skid Row (guitarist Dave Sabo is 55)
** All these songs were on albums produced by Cars frontman/songwriter Ric Ocasek who passes away in his Manhattan apartment. Check out our Roots with Robb episode on the Cars. 3
Tuesday, September 17th sponsored by All About Personnel
- Tomorrow – Silverchair
- No More Tears – Ozzy Osbourne**
- Everlong – Foo Fighters
- Love You Down – INOJ
- Emotions – Mariah Carey**
- Don’t Cry – Guns n’ Roses**
- Teenage Angst (What the World Needs Now) – Cracker
- Firestarter – Prodigy
- One – U2++
- Head Over Feet – Alanis Morissette
- Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen) – Baz Luhrmann
- I Will Survive – Cake^^ (from Fashion Nugget released on this date in 1996)
**All three songs were on albums released on this date in 1991. Guns n’ Roses topped the charts with Use Your Illusion II. Use Your Illusion 1 was in 2nd, Mariah’s Emotions finished in 4th, and Ozzy was at #7.
++Apparently, the beats per minute, and chords of this song make it the perfect song to turn it into a lullaby. Nothing says lullaby like a song about relationship trouble.
Wednesday, September 18th sponsored by Rosati’s Pizza of Mendota
- Poison – Bell Biv Devoe (Ricky Bell is 52 today!)
- What’s Up – 4-Non Blondes
- All I Want – Toad the West Sprocket
- Epic – Faith No More
- Feel So Good – Mase
- Are You Jimmy Ray? – Jimmy Ray
- Aliens Exist – Blink-182**
- Sell Out – Reel Big Fish
- Can I Get A….- Jay-Z^^
- Seasons – Chris Cornell^^
- Love of a Lifetime – Firehouse
- Unpretty – TLC
- Plowed – Sponge
**Tom Delonge, a UFO enthusiast shared this video on his To the Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences website and youtube page featuring a UFO. Well…now the Government has confirmed they are REAL, but aren’t calling them UFOs. They’re calling them UAPs, Unidentified Aerial Phenomena, because calling them UFOs would probably lead to too much panic. So apparently…we’re not alone?
^^At the Movies in the 90s
on this date in 1998, Rush Hour was the #1 movie in the country. The soundtrack featured this song.
#1 on this date in theaters in 1994, the Jean-Claude Van Damme guilty pleasure, TimeCop!
and released on this date in 1992, Singles, Cameron Crowe’s love letter to Seattle, and the burgeoning scene (it was filmed in early ’91 before Seattle blew up). It features one of the quintessential 90s soundtracks, including this gem from Chris Cornell who worked up an entire cassette worth of original material for the movie’s main character. He wrote songs to the titles Pearl Jam’s Jeff Ament came up with for artwork for the movie.
Thursday, September 19th sponsored by Electronics Junkyard
- Fade into You – Mazzy Star
- Creep – Radiohead
- C’mon ‘n Ride It (The Train) – Quad City DJs
- Slide – Goo Goo Dolls (released this week in 1998)
- Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town – Pearl Jam (their 2nd album Vs. on this date in 1993)
- Welcome to Paradise – Green Day**
- Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm – Crash Test Dummies**
- Don’t Turn Around – Ace of Base**
- Can’t Cry Anymore – Sheryl Crow**
- Round Here – Counting Crows**
- Seether – Veruca Salt++
- Backwater – Meat Puppets
- My Own Worst Enemy – Lit
- It Was a Good Day – Ice Cube
**They were all nominated for best new artist of 1994 at the Grammy Awards. Sheryl Crow went on to win. At least Sheryl had just put out her debut album…but let’s face it, the term NEW ARTIST is very loose. New to WHO? The voters? Green Day had just put out Dookie. It was their Major Label Debut, but their 3rd album. Crash Test Dummies first album came out in 1991, MMM MMM MMM MMM was on their 2nd release God Shuffled His Feet. The Sign was Ace of Base’s North American Debut. So really, of those nominated, the best bets were either Sheryl Crow (who made an album in 1992 that was never released and also was a successful musician/singer touring with big named artists like Michael Jackson and Don Henley, OR The Counting Crowes riding high on the success of August and Everything After.
^^Here’s a list of artists who actual DID release their debut album in ’94:
- Ben Harper
- Warren G
- Da Brat
- Marilyn Manson
- Notorious B.I.G.
- Soul Coughing
- Dave Matthews Band
- Veruca Salt
Friday, September 20th sponsored by Norway Kennels Dog & Cat Boarding
- Spoonman – Soundgarden
- Bitch – Merideth Brooks (in honor of the BLT with Cheese from Jimmy Johns!)
- Til I Hear From You – Gin Blossoms
- (Can’t Live Without Your) Love and Affection – Nelson**
- More Than Words – Extreme
- Candle in the Wind 1997 – Elton John++
- Heart-Shaped Box – Nirvana
- Supernova – Liz Phair
- Drive – R.E.M.
- Praise You – Fatboy Slim
- Whoomp! There It Is – Tag Team
- Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta – Geto Boys
- American Jesus – Bad Religion
**Ricky Nelson’s twin sons, Matthew and Gunnar are 52 today!
++ The biggest selling single of all-time. I remember seeing it at the register at Walgreens. It started a 6 week run on the top of the UK charts on this date in 1997. Elton only performed this version once, at the memorial service for Princess Diana. He said the only way he’d ever play it again is if Diana’s boys asked him to.
At the Movies!!
In the news, a remake of a remake!!! A new version of The Fugitive is being made with Kiefer Sutherland in the Tommy Lee Jones role. This will be on yet another new streaming platform Quibi (short for Quick Bits), that will be an app on your phone/tablet and episodes of shows will be 7-10 minutes long! So a full season is really the length of a movie, and they have a TON of other big names set for shows. The point is for you watch it on your lunch break every day. Its interesting, but will it work? We shall see.