Lone Star Pot Roast
Dust off your dutch oven for this recipe! Who doesn’t love Pot Roast? It becomes especially delicious with the addition of chopped green chilies and taco seasoning. Best of all you can freeze any leftovers. (tips below)
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Combine tomatoes, chilies, taco seasoning, bouillon and sugar; pour over the roast. Cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a platter and keep warm. For gravy, pour 2 cups pan juices into a saucepan. Combine cold water and flour; stir into pan juices over high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Serve with roast.
Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with gravy. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.