Ottawa home fire started by power strip in bedroom

Ottawa home fire started by power strip in bedroom

Ottawa fire fighters estimate $20,000 in damage at a home in the 900 block of Howard St. Sunday morning. The fire started near a power strip and extension cord in a bedroom.

Joe Kmetz says he tried to put the fire out by throwing water on it, but there was too much fire. Everyone in the home got out safely and called the fire department. Before they left the home, they closed the bedroom door to keep the fire from spreading.