- 1 1/2 cups wild rice blend (mix wild and brown rice)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup wild mushrooms, torn
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken breast and or thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 shallots, halved
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
1. In the bowl of your slow cooker, combine the wild rice, 3 cups chicken broth, lemon juice, parsley, carrots, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and mix everything up to combine.
2. Rub the chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, thyme, sage, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and sear until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Toss in the shallots and cook another 1-2 minutes. Remove the chicken and shallots from the skillet and place directly into the slow cooker, skin side up, along with any juices left in the skillet. Add the rosemary.
4. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. If the rice is hard, add and addition 1/2 cup broth and cook another 30 minutes on high.
5. To serve, fluff the rice with a fork and serve the chicken, rice, and veggies together