Ottawa Elementary will open its little red schoolhouse to the public on Sunday, September 29. Facilitator Karen Roth and some current students will talk about what it was like to be in school in 1885.
The schoolhouse was an actual school building in the Ransom area from 1855 to 1932. The Ottawa Elementary School District acquired it in 1990 and began using it in 1994 at the old Central location by the Illinois River. The open house will be from 1pm to 3pm on the 29th in honor of the building’s 25th year in use in the grade school district. Retired Supt. Ron Marino will speak inside the new Central School at 1pm. Tours of the one-room school will begin at 1:30pm.