Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with this tasty rendition of all the Tex-Mex dishes molded into one packed, casserole. It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken and it makes great leftovers. Best of all, it’s ready in only half an hour!
Check out Handy Foods Facebook page and stay up to date!
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken *
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups salsa verde, divided
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)*
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: Avocado slices, thinly sliced green onions and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream and 3/4 cup salsa. Spread 1/4 cup salsa on the bottom of a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Layer with half of the tortillas and chicken mixture; sprinkle with half the tomatoes, minced cilantro and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° until bubbly, 20-25 minutes. Serve with remaining salsa and, if desired, optional toppings.
- Substitute cooked chicken thighs instead of rotisserie chicken
- Some like it hot! Add sliced jalapenos to kick the up the flavor
- When substituting canned tomatoes for fresh, drain them first