ONE POT CHEESY BEEF TACO RICE
I love one pot meals. If you’re more of a chicken or turkey fan, feel free to switch out the ground meat. . Throw some jalapenos in there if you like heat. Really, this dish is quite versatile, so work with what you have on hand!
To stock up on your pantry, make sure to check out this week’s “Back to School” fler fromHandy Foods.
· 1 – 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
· 1/2 yellow onion, diced
· 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus an extra drizzle for cooking the rice
· 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
· 1 teaspoon cumin
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
· 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
· 1 (14.5 oz) jar salsa
· 1 cup corn kernels
· 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 Roma tomato, diced
· 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
· 1 avocado, peeled and diced
· 1 green onion, chopped, to garnish
· Fresh cilantro, to taste
1. Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground beef and break it up a bit with a wooden spoon. Add the diced onion and cook until has browned and the onion is translucent.
2. Move the beef and onion over to one side of the pan and drizzle just a bit more oil on the empty side. Add in the uncooked rice and toss it around briefly to toast it.
3. Stir in the spices, chicken broth, salsa, corn, and black beans. Bring the liquids to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 18 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed.
4. Taste the rice and adjust seasoning to your liking. Sprinkle the tomato, cheese, and avocado over the rice and then cover once more until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Then sprinkle with green onion and cilantro and serve!