Cheesy Chicken Casserole
If you’re looking for a weeknight dinner, cheesy chicken casserole is your answer. It’s super quick to make.
You can use leftovers or rotisserie chicken or make poached or baked chicken breasts
This cheesy chicken casserole can be prepped ahead of time and kept in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it meaning you can make it tonight and cook it tomorrow!
Have you checked out this week’s sales flyer from Handy Food? Don’t miss the savings.
- 3 cups shell noodles uncooked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 ¾ ounces cream of chicken soupcondensed
- 1 ⅓ cups milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 4 ounces mild green chiles
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cook shells al dente according to package directions.
- Cook onion and red bell pepper in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt and chili powder.
- In a large bowl combine soup, onion mixture, milk and 2 cups cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Mix well. Stir in chicken, pasta and green chiles.
- Spread into a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Tips & Variations
This easy chicken casserole can be adapted to use whatever you might have in your fridge:
Chicken casseroles are a staple basically everywhere, usually topped with cheese.
Vegetables: Cook and/or drain your veggies before adding to this casserole
Pasta: Any medium pasta will work in this recipe. Be sure to cook it al dense (so it’s still a bit firm), it’ll cook more in the oven.
Chicken: swap it for turkey or ham if it’s all you have on hand.
Sauce: Swap out the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom or celery in this dish.
Topping: Chicken casseroles are a staple basically everywhere, usually topped with cheese.
It’s also great with a bread crumb topping. Combine 3 tablespoons panko crumbs with 1 tablespoon melted butter (add a bit of garlic powder, salt & pepper too). Sprinkle over the top