A decision could be coming soon on winter high school sports.
- IHSA Executive Director Craig Anderson said Wednesday that the IHSA and Governor’s office have had recent conversations, but not anything he would describe as “active.”
- That statement was made after the Illinois Department of Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike said more information about winter high school sports will be available “very shortly” at Wednesday’s COVID-19 press briefing with Governor JB Pritzker.
- The IHSA sent its winter sports guidance proposal to the Governor’s office last week and Anderson is hoping to get a response by November 1st.
The wind conditions were brutal in the class 1A St. Bede Sectional at Spring Creek Golf Course in Spring Valley.
- The St. Bede Bruins finished the day with a team score of 384.
- The Bruins Nathan Potthoff finished with an 85 to place 10th.
- Representing the Newark-Serena team, Camden Figgins shot an 86 to earn 14th place.
- Elgin Academy won the sectional contest with a team total of 333.
The Los Angeles Angels have granted the White Sox permission to interview Tony La Russa for their managerial opening. The Hall of Famer is currently a special assistant with the Angels. The 76-year-old hasn’t served as a major league manager since leading the St. Louis Cardinals to a World Series title in 2011. He began his managerial career with the White Sox in 1979.
Last night’s match between the Chicago Fire and Minnesota United was postponed due to a suspected case of COVID-19 among the Minnesota United members.
University of Alabama football coach Nick Saban is sitting out with the coronavirus. Saban and athletic director Greg Byrne both tested positive for the illness.
The SEC has postponed This weekend’s game between the LSU Tigers and the Florida Gators due the Gators dealing with covid-19 and quarantines. This is the second SEC game to be postponed because of the virus. Vanderbilt is also having virus-related issues, so they won’t be playing Missouri on Saturday.
The NFL will not have the annual Pro Bowl this season due to concerns over the coronavirus.
The Dodgers scored a postseason record 11 runs in the first inning as they crushed the Braves 15-3 in Game Three of the NLCS in Arlington. Atlanta leads the series 2-1. Game Four is set for later today..
The Astros held off the Rays 4-3 in Game Four of the ALCS in San Diego. Tampa Bay came up short in a ninth-inning rally attempt but still lead the series 3-1. Game 5 action is scheduled for tonight.