Let’s serve up something festive during the holidays! This quick, easy recipe is delicious. it will become your new comfort food for the season. You can even make this ahead and bake later.
For even more treats check out the Handy Foods Holiday sales flyer!
Shrimp & Crab Casserole
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spread rice into a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in seafood seasoning, salt, pepper sauce and pepper. Fold in shrimp and crab. Spoon over rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, covered, until shrimp turn pink, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- To Make Ahead: Can be made a day in advance. Prepare recipe as directed, cooling sauce slightly before adding shrimp and crab. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.